Thursday, July 23, 2009

NostalgiaFAG Wednesday Vol. 5: TLC

Okay so again, technically it's really early Thursday morning (3 am), but since I've been awake all day I can still consider it to be really late-night Wednesday, thus this post is valid!

Alright now so for this edition of NW I bring to you a life-consuming toy, well, more like an electronic handheld that millions and millions of kids were obsessed with back in the day, 1 of them including me....I bring you....TAMAGOTCHI.

How your pet looked like when it first hatches from its egg. REMEMBER?!

Ok, so when I got my first Tamagotchi, I just thought it was just another handheld toy, well shit was I wrong. Later on I had found out for myself that taking care of these motherfucking virtual creatures, or "pets" to put it in a nice way, required a lot of patience, dedication, and attention; pretty much some good ol' TENDER LOVING CARE. You had to make sure to play games with your pet, feed it, train it, and pick up its shit...because if you didn't do any of that...a most terrible thing happens...your little virtual homie dies, which is hella sad. Serious though if you didn't feed it, it starved to death, and if you didn't pick up it's shit, the shit actually stacked up, their ain't enough room for stacks and stacks of shit and your pet in that little screen, so it would die of, I dunno, unsanitary conditions? And to top it off the thing had no pause button, so you really had to take care of it genuinely 24/7.

Now it was truly difficult to manage that while you were in school, of course in my case in elementary school. Thing is, you know that it was shit hard to get away with playing with toys like this in class, even if you tried your best tending to your Tamagotchi say like under your desk or something, obstructing it from your teacher's view, but somehow you get caught, or at least I did a few times, leading to confiscation of my pet.

Again as I said, if you didn't take care of Tamagotchi all day everyday, it would die, so during school it was very hard to keep it alive for a long time. Now its a different story when you are on summer break or something, because now you had all day and everyday free to take care of it. Here I took advantage. Cared for my shit everyday, and it was a real treat to see your lil' blob with a face on it transform and grow into a bigger and cooler looking creature. I remember mine having like a duck bill on it with some wings and like it breathed fire and shit, and I was so proud of myself, I felt like a father. Then the inevitable day came....

I remember the day when I turned on my Tamagotchi and saw that tombstone on the screen, and the ghost of my pet flapping its wings with a halo over its head. Holy shit was I devastated. I think it died at the age of 18 Tamagotchi years (1 day = 1 year I think lol), which is pretty damn good I guess. But of course, you had move on. Either restart with a fresh new egg, or go out and buy a new one, especially the hundreds of bootleg ones that came out sometime during the craze lol. I remember getting an alien-themed one haha.

P.S. Digimon pets were cool too, especially battling em with others and tearing their shit up.

Well that's all I got for today, HOPE YOU HAD A NOSTALGIC TIME!


1 comment:

  1. i always borrowed yours because i never got the official tamagotchi. it was always the third party ones (which were still dope BTW)

    ReplyDelete