Monday, June 14, 2010

BOX OF GOODIES

Hello everybody! Very active day today. Attended my cousin Paulo's Graduation Ceremony today from Cal Poly Pomona (which I shall blog about in a later post), and witnessing the Lakers fucking losing Game 5 of the Finals. DAMN IT! But to the main point of this post....

Alright so in a couple days one of the homies is leaving to embark on a work-related move to San Diego for the rest of the Summer. You've seen her here on the blog a few times already if you pay attention, and that person is homegirl Mayo, who I've known for only about 2 months now. She told us about this move quite some time ago, but with time drawing closer to her leaving (even though its just about an hour away), is when I realized what I will be missing out on in the Summer without her ass. No more chilling, kicking it at the pad, shots of patron, Blue Moon, and hitting up Tea Station. So with that, I decided to make something for her as a goodbye/goodluck present to show my appreciation of her homie-ness.

Frontal comparison

As you see above, I made her the hat on the left. I made her her very own Team Cap "The Mayos" inspired by the The Hundreds Team Snapback Cap to the right of it, which is also inspired by old-school vintage NBA/NFL Team Caps from back in the day. Made it simply by drawing the design on the cap with a white charcoal pencil, then using a fine brush and painting it in with layers of acrylic paint. The finer lettering was done with a white-out pen haha (gotta work with what you got). I wish I could have had it actually embroidered but I felt artsy and really don't know where to get custom-text embroidered onto a hat lol.

Why a hat of all things? Well if you know me well enough, you know I'm a fiend for hats. I have a shitload of em and they are also part of my look, as I wear a hat every single day of my life. But for her, I made it cuz it will be useful for her in the workplace. She is a cook (works for Wolfgang Puck), aspiring to be a great chef, and this hat will help her keep the hair out her face, protect her from extremely hot oil splashes gone airborne and shit like that. So yeah...

Side shot, close-up of detail

As I mentioned earlier, Mayo is a cook. So coming up with her version of the NBA logo was pretty simple. You can see above, that on her hat, I put 3 things: A spoon, a spatula and a knife. All essential things for a cook, and all things she carries around with her everyday (except for the knife, cuz she'd run the risk of getting in trouble with the law for possession of a deadly weapon haha, but really though she always has a spoon on her for tasting purposes and sometimes a mini-spatula). VERY SYMBOLIC, WOW!

Anyways.....after a seriously 2-minute drive to her pad to deliver the package......

What's in the box holmes?!

I decided to throw in this "i eat pandesal" shirt above for kicks, as it has become way too small for me to wear. Sorry Ate Jax and Erika (they were the ones who originally gave me this as a "pasalubong" or gift from the homeland of Philippines). Also, if you aren't Filipino and/or don't understand Tagalog, "Ate" means an older female relative who is a cousin/sister, and Pandesal are delicious dinner rolls, as seen below!

Mmm...Pandesal. Just go to a Filipino bakery like Goldilocks or something to get some lol

Mayo, proud owner of her newly acquired, self-titled team

So yeah, hat was revealed last, and I'm really happy she liked it. Got a good reception for it, felt like I was #1 at the Box Office or something. "I can't believe you made me a hat!" and "I'm gonna wear it tomorrow at work!" she says. Mission Accomplished! Well, sad to see you leave yo. GONNA MISS YOU HOLMES!

****BONUS****
Mayo's newest burn scar, which she claims looks like a penis and balls. Do you see it?

No comments:

Post a Comment