Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Let's Get Oily

It's finished! My painting final is finished thank god. After about 18 hours total of work, I have finally finished just now. Finished as in I have done enough and don't want to do anymore, even though I can still do a few things to make it better. BUT FUCK THAT, I'M OVER THIS SHIT.

Okay, so the assignment was to create an imaginary landscape with influence from memories. So for my painting, I brought in the memories of my hometown San Francisco and tied it in with a memory of a really hot, dry, arid hike with a couple of my friends years ago. I twisted it by having the Golden Gate Bridge fucked up (kinda like how Magneto fucks it up in X3: The Last Stand) and I brought in the hiking memory by drying up the bay. So here is the process...

First, I stained the canvas a with Burnt Sienna paint very lightly; this is to make the colors that go on top of it come out more vividly than if the canvas was plain white. Then using Yellow Ochre, a very light brownish-yellow paint, I drew in the outline of the picture, which will be painted over with actual color later. This is just the beginning.

So much done, yet so much more to do. Here is pretty much the halfway point, everything is pretty much colored in, except for parts of the bridge and the cracks in the dry mud. Shit gets very tedious, but that is totally my fault for creating such a complex pattern-like design. Everything is just plain right now, lighting effects and detail to be added on later.

And finally...the finished product. As you can see, all the details have been added in. Bridge reflection in the puddle of water as well as shadows added, some greenery and depth added to the mountains in the back, dry-mud given shading for more realism, flailing wires painted in and as a last touch I added barnacles to the foreground rocks.

Just a side shot to get the least reflection from the room light and my camera's flash. 2 more finals to go.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops what'd I do lol. Foreground rock. Also barnacles aren't found that deep lol so lets say the rock is around mid-tidal zone. All in all, looks GOOOOOOOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked at this again, does this hike involve wanting to murder someone after getting lost lol?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn dude, that looks amazing broh.

    ReplyDelete